History of this House

Thanks to Sia^n Ifan and Gethin ap Gruffudd for an offprint of “Land Ownership Change in a Glamorgan Parish, 1750 – 1850.” In this document the diary of Weston Dillwyn mentions on 14th October 1821 tenancies of Lord Jersey all bought by Mr Gwyn Attorney of the Dyffryn Estate. These include Pen y Fedwas; Pant Baban (the farm next door to our “Pant y Bedw”), Fagwr Wen, Cefn Parc, Blaen yr Olchfa, Melin Wen, Pant y Milwr Isaf, Tir Pen yr Heol, Pant y Coed Cae, Pen Twyn, Llwyn Ifan, Pant Lassau Uchaf, Mason’s Arms, Ffynon Fadog. A total of 540 acres all bought by some rich lawyer from Neath. The Dyffryn Estate sold a total of 43.5 perches to William Newlands in 1926. The new Land Act would prevent any one person owning so much land. Beaufort’s power relied on out dated privileges and prerogatives which led to many bitter and protracted disputes. So Beaufort was always a greed ridden absentee landowner. The Dyffryn Estate still tries to hang on to mineral rights even today. All land in Wales should be nationalized according to Socialist principles, and divided up among the local people. This makes the sale of 48 Rhyddwen Road even more deplorable, it ignores a long history.


%d bloggers like this: