Meaning of the Armiger Rank of Gentleman

This is the rank I have held in society since 2008. It is equivalent to the untitled nobility of the continent of Europe, a rank of the Gentry in Britain. In Latin it is Nobilis Homo; In French Ecuyer (Squire); In Italian Nobile; In Portuguese Fidalgo; in Spanish Hidalgo or Escudero; in Prussia a Junker, in Austria an Edler. It is an Armiger rank, an Armiger is a person entitled to bear a coat of arms, an armigerous member of the Gentry or untitled Nobility. It was recorded in “Burke’s Peerage and Gentry” in 2011. There are only three ranks of Armiger now awarded; Baron (or life peer), Knight and Gentleman, co equal in merit, but traditionally different in rank. So my formal title is marked by the letters “Gent.” after my name. Anyone can petition for a coat of arms, and the rank of Gentleman, but obviously one must be distinguished by merit or by service to society, in my case both: service to science and voluntary service to science and the community. One cannot petition for the rank of Knight or Peer as far as I know, but I can check with the College of Arms. So

in our times it is a recognition of service, in my case a recognition of being a Civil List Pensioner, akin to Order of Merit (Penrose’s medal for example). I am certainly not in Burke’s by descent, I am not the first son of a Peer, Knight or Gentleman in the heraldic sense. In the usual usage, gentleman means anyone. This is just to show that the AIAS is held in high respect, and its coat of arms is the same as my coat of arms. I have given it permission to use my coat of arms and it appears on the home page of Traditionally the Gentleman was the Lord of the Manor, as in Ynys Cedwyn Hall. This is no longer the case and the title is a recognition of distinguished service and also that of AIAS.

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: